Endocrine glands, produce chemical signals known as hormones, these travel through the blood stream from an endocrine gland to a target tissue where is has an effect.
- ADH/antidiuretic hormone – from the Pituitary gland – Target: collecting duct – increases absorption of water into the blood
- Adrenaline – Adrenal glands (on top of kidney) – Heart (many others) – increase Heart Rate
- Insulin – Pancreas – Liver – Storage of glucose (reduce blood sugar levels)
- Glucagon (opposite of Insulin) – Pancreas – Liver – Puts sugar into blood stream
- Testosterone – Testes (low levels in women, produced in ovaries) – Testes (sperm cells) – Sperm cells mature
- Progesterone – Ovary – Uterus lining – maintain uterus lining
- Oestrogen – Ovary – Lining of the Uterus – Build up the lining of the uterus